6-9 California Endive
3-4 teaspoons oil
1 quart chicken stock
1. Cut endives in half.
2. Heat oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Place endive halves face down in pan and sear for 4-6 minutes until leave edges browned.
3. Lower heat slightly, turn endives in pan and continue to cook another 4-6 minutes.
4. Place endive halves in shallow casserole dish cut side up.
5. Pour chicken stock onto endives to a depth where endives are just about covered.
6. Braise uncovered in 350 degree oven for 60-90 minutes until liquid volume reduces by about ¾, basting 2-3 times during this time. Lightly ground nutmeg over top, if desired. Serve hot.
Note: Endives should be very tender and translucent in appearance.