Endive Pizza with Apples, Onions & Gorgonzola
12" Pizza Crust
3 White Endives
3 Tbs. Butter
1 Tbs. Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tbs. Pine Nuts
1/2 tsp. Fresh Thyme
3 Tbs. Madeira (Port or Sherry OK)
1/2 Cup Gorgonzola
1. Cut endives into 1/4" ribbons, slicing them from tip to core (discard last 1/2" of core)
2. Saute them in 1 TB of butter on high heat until soft but not limp. Season with salt and pepper. Cool in a colander to strain the juices.
3. In the same skillet add 1 Tbs. butter and saute the thinly sliced onion, season with salt and pepper and 1 Tbs. of sugar. The onion should be lightly caramelized. Set aside to cool.
4. Peel the apple and slice thinly. Saute slices in 1 Tbs. of butter and sprinkle them with lemon juice. Saute until softened but still firm. Set aside to cool.
5. When you are ready to assemble the pizza preheat oven to 475 degrees and layer your crust as follows:
Endive and onions mixed on bottom
Apple slices sprinkled with fresh thyme
Pine nute and Madeira sprinkled over apple
Bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown on top.
Wine Suggestion: Barbera
This recipe created by Isabelle Van den Berghe.